Monday, May 21, 2012

Ist full day out of hospital

Well I don't know if it is possible but I think I set a PR on getting released from a hospital for abdominal  surgery.  I had surgery at 1:30PM on Thursday and was released at 11:40AM on Sunday. So that is a 70 hour 10 min time if you can beat that let me know.  I have some more post op pics and they are pretty nasty so if you get grossed out DO NOT LOOK!  As for recovery, the first day the Dr had me out of the bed sitting in a chair, day 1 I did 2 walks in the hallways and sat in a chair for 2 hours.  Day three was the same as day 2.  Day 4 was the release day, 1 walk in hallway, sat in chair for 3 hours, released so had car ride home, did 2 15 min walks outside.  Today(day 5), I am showering, taking the bandages off, and did my longest walk yet.  As for the diet, day 1 was ice chips after surgery, day 2 was  water and apple juice all day, day 3 juice in the AM and soft food for lunch and dinner(chicken rice soup, sandwich) day 4 soft foods in the AM and ate a burger and ice cream for dinner(Not a smart idea).  Day 5 taking it easy oatmeal and banana for breakfast, half a PB&J with bowl of chicken soup for lunch.   As for bowel habits, Day 1 I everything was shut down from the anesthesia still, day 2 I was having gas by the end of the day, day 3 I had gas in the AM and diarrhea in the PM, day 4 I was was having multiple loose bowel movements.  Today I am having multiple movements and quite a bit of pain, but I am assuming this is from eating the burgers and ice cream(will I ever learn).
All in all I feel I am doing great for having had major surgery less than a week ago.  I have about a 4 inch incision just below the belly button and the closed opening from the ostomy.  The Dr was able to use the old incision so I won't have any new scars for the major incision, just the scar from the opening.
Day4
Day 5

1 comment:

  1. Looking good, Casey! Sounds like you are doing really, really well! PB&J is one of my favs!! Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete